Pages

Lost in Translation... and then found again

Throughout the years I have had the opportunity to translate various documents from Spanish to English and vice versa. The range is wide: college applications, resumes, technical documents, letters, songs, etc. It evolved naturally. Most people that know me are aware of my bilingual skills, so naturally they come to me with their translation needs. That's how it started: "hey, could you help me with this paragraph over here? I'm trying to write to a company about a job position."

In the midst of going between English and Spanish I have learned so much about both languages and cultures. There is often that enlightenment moment of "aha! I just found the perfect translation for that!" It is amazing how much you can learn while helping others communicate. At first I was lost in English. It just sounded like one long sentence to me. "What do I do about rolling my Rs?" I used to think. "My tongue doesn't know how to lightly caress that letter." "Did you say run-on sentence? But that's the beauty of Spanish. You can write and write and just let it flow!" And then little by little I found myself, both in English and in Spanish. I understood the root of each language. I understood how to be passionate, in very different ways, as I expressed my thoughts and ideas.

And that is how I found myself again. Translating: in my head, in writing, on the phone, as I sang, interpreting.

0 comments: